FAQ About UK Immigration

FAQ About UK Immigration

1. How do I change my visa, type of leave, or UK immigration status?

If you require a visa when entering the UK, you will need to make an application to the Home Office to change your status. If you are in the UK and submit a valid application before your current visa expires, the terms of your current status remain unchanged after the normal expiration date.This extension lasts until the Home Office makes a decision on your case and until any appeals process is over. If you need advice on what type of visa is best for you, we can provide you with advice.

2. How do I extend my existing leave, permission or residence permit?

If you need a visa when entering the UK and have limited leave to stay, you will need to apply to the Home Office for an extension of your current visa before it expires. If you have made a valid application for further leave, your current leave will be extended on the same terms until the Home Office decides on your application and any subsequent appeals process. Note that if Visa says you have ‘vacation’ until a certain date, you must submit your application before that date.

3. Which family member are eligible to apply for family permit UK ?

  • Spouse, civil partner, or unmarried partner
  • child or grandchild under the age of 21
  • dependant children or grandchildren of any age
  • dependant parent or grandparent

This includes family members who were adopted under a recognised adoption order in UK law.

4. Can I stay in the UK after my family permit expaire?

If your eligible family member was living in the UK, you can apply for the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living here after your family permit expires.

5. Can I switch from Tier 2 ICT dependant visa to Student visa from inside the UK?

Yes, you can switch from ICT dependant visa to Student visa from inside the UK.

6. How do I bring my spouse, partner, child or dependant to the UK?

Several categories of visas under immigration rules allow you to bring certain family members to the UK with you, such as your spouse or civil partner, unmarried or gay partner, or children under the age of 18.

If you were granted a visa under a range of immigration rules, the rules will state whether family members can accompany you.

Tier 4 (general) visas no longer allow you to bring family members in most cases. If your course of study is more than 12 months and is at NQF level 7 or higher (master’s degree or PhD), or you are a fresh government-sponsored student that lasts more than 6 months, you may bring it with you.

Scroll to Top